If you have a griddle in the backyard and wonder what to make for dinner, this Blackstone Chicken Fried Rice is for you. This chicken fried rice is perfect for those nights when you have no idea what to make for dinner and don’t want to order pizza.
This post may contain affiliate links, please read the disclaimer policy.
Why do we love fried rice so much
One of the main reasons, Blackstone chicken fried rice, is how easily it comes together. I usually have all the ingredients on hand, it only has a few steps, and it is ready to be served in under 30 minutes. Perfect for those busy weeknights.
The great thing about this recipe is that there is no right or wrong way to make it. Use what you have in the pantry. We have done many variations of this recipe. The top family favorites use pulled pork, taco meat, or shredded beef. Using the griddle gives that magic taste, there are fewer dishes, the heat stays outside, and it can be used all year round.
I like using jasmine rice with our chicken fried rice. The easy-to-do seasoning balances all the flavors of the chicken and vegetables. You get a comfort food bite with that classic Asian twist for our Blackstone chicken fried rice.
- Rotisserie chicken: For this recipe, I used rotisserie chicken. My favorite hack for a quick and easy dinner. You can substitute any of your favorite chicken recipes/leftovers.
- Olive oil: Any high-heat oil you prefer to use on your griddle.
- Cooked rice: Day-old rice is even better.
- Soy sauce
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Celery seed
- Frozen vegetable medley
This is just to give you an idea of the ingredients you need. I have all the exact measurements for each ingredient at the end of this post in the recipe card.
1. Gather your ingredients and preheat – Combine spices to make the seasoning and dice the chicken. Preheat griddle to low, about 350 degrees F.
2. Warm up the ingredients for the fried rice – Once the griddle is at temperature swirl a bit of oil add the diced chicken, and mix. I turn off a side burner to act as a holding area. Then add some of the seasoning to the chicken to your taste. Once rewarmed move it to the holding area.
Frozen veggie time. Increase the heat of the griddle to medium and add the frozen veggies. Swirl a touch of oil on them and mix, add the seasoning to your taste. Mix about every 60 – 90 seconds. The frozen veggies should be rewarmed in about 5 minutes.
Bring the chicken over and combine it with the veggies. Mix for one minute. Move over to the side holding area.
Put it all together
3. Time to bring all your ingredients together and reduce heat to low. Do another swirl of olive oil on the griddle and add the rice. Warm the rice for 2 to 3 minutes, mixing occasionally. While it is rewarming whisk the eggs in a bowl. Once the rice is warmed, create a well and add the eggs. Mix them well, until the eggs combine into the rice.
The eggs will start to get creamy, while they combine with the rice. Keep mixing until the eggs are set. Once the rice and eggs are nicely combined bring the veggies and chicken over. Mix all together and add soy sauce to your taste.
NOTE: You may need more oil depending on how well your griddle is seasoned. Need to know how? Check out our post on seasoning a griddle.
This is my favorite part the final taste test. You can adjust with soy sauce and/or the seasoning. Mix again and give the fried rice a minute or two to have all the flavors combine.
4. Serve and Enjoy!
You can change out the chicken for a different protein. The frozen vegetables can be changed to your preference or even fresh. There may be some changes in cooking times.
For this recipe, I used a Blackstone griddle but any griddle would work just as well. You can also use a large skillet on the stove. You may need to adjust the quantities and times.
Here is one of my favorite skillets to use when I don’t cook on the griddle. Oh, don’t forget to have something for mixing the chicken fried rice. I have the big griddle spatulas but you can use big serving utensils or just regular spatulas too.
I love using jasmine rice. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly before cooking it your favorite way.
Storage / Rewarm
Storage: Once the Blackstone chicken fried rice is completely cooled, place it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The storage time decreased because of the eggs. If you do not add eggs, the fried rice will be good in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Rewarm: It will warm up perfectly in a skillet or back on the griddle. I use medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until it reaches my desired temperature.
Don’t use fresh rice for this recipe. Instead, use day-old rice. It is drier and will allow for the flavors of the other ingredients to come together and the texture will be more pleasant.
Whenever I make fried rice I follow these 3 rules. I know there are a lot more but so far, these 3 magic rules have made a huge difference:
1- Use day-old rice: It will lead to a better texture which will help enhance the flavors of all the ingredients.
2- Keep It Simple: Fried rice does not need to be overcomplicated. They might be simple ingredients but the combination of all the flavors is what makes fried rice magic.
3- Once it is done cooking, let it rest: Once you are done cooking, let the fried rice rest. It will combine the flavors even more.
Make sure to use a long grain rice when you make fried rice. This type of rice is less starchy and the texture of the fried rice will be more enjoyable.
For this recipe, I used sautéing olive oil. You can also use avocado oil, any sesame-refined oil, or any high-heat oil.
We always do this with any rice we cook. For fried rice, I find this more important because it “flushes” the excess starch and gives a better final texture.
This is a great option and when I can get some good fresh vegetables it is my go-to. Frozen just makes it a bit simpler to do and find.
I used rotisserie chicken for this recipe, but here are other fun chicken recipes. When you make them, keep the leftovers for making chicken fried rice.
Don’t forget Dessert
After a great meal, a fun dessert is always a great way to finish a perfect evening.
Got chicken. Got rice. You got chicken fried rice. What did you think of the seasoning?
Tell us in the comments below.
Blackstone Chicken Fried Rice
- Large griddle or pan (We used a 36-inch griddle)
- 2 Griddle Spatulas
- BBQ tongs
- BBQ scraper (Optional)
- 6 cups cooked rice, preferably a day-old
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken
- 1 bag frozen tri-colored peppers and onion medley, 14.4 oz. bag (Prefered frozen vegetables)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (Or your preferred oil)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Gather your ingredients and preheat
- Preheat the griddle to low, about 350 degrees F.
- Combine salt, onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper, and celery seed in a bowl to make the seasoning.
- Dice your chicken into bite-sized pieces or your preferred size.
- Once the griddle is at 350 degrees F. turn a side burner off. It will be your holding area for the chicken and vegetables later.
Warm up the ingredients for the fried rice
- Swirl 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto the griddle, add the diced chicken, and mix. Then add 1 teaspoon of the seasoning. Taste.NOTE: Depending on the flavor of the chicken you may need to add more seasoning.
- I found that the rotisserie chicken needed more seasoning. I added 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mixed it. Then add 1 more teaspoon of seasoning and mixed.
- Let it sit for 1 minute then mix a final time and rest for one more additional minute.
- The chicken should be thoroughly rewarmed now. Place the chicken over to the side holding area.
- Increase heat to medium for the frozen veggies.
- Pour the frozen veggies on the griddle, and mix.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to coat them.
- Evenly coat the veggies with 2 teaspoons of the seasonings. Depending on your griddle and veggie choice you may need to add some more oil.
- Mix every 60 to 90 seconds. After 5 minutes, the veggies should be heated through.
- Combine the veggies and chicken and mix for one minute. Set aside in the holding area.
Put it all together
- Reduce heat to low, swirl 1 tablespoon of oil where the rice will be on the griddle, and add the rice. Warm up for 2 to 3 minutes, mixing occasionally.NOTE: You may need more oil depending on how well your griddle is seasoned.
- While the rice is warming up whisk the 3 eggs in a bowl until both the yolks and whites are combined in a uniform color.
- Once the rice is warmed, create a well and add the eggs into it, mix well.
- The eggs will start to get creamy as they combine with the rice. Keep mixing until the eggs are set and well combined. Then thoroughly mix the rice to distribute the rice-egg mixture evenly.
- Now let's put it all together by adding the veggies and chicken. Mix everything thoroughly to start combining all the flavors.
- Swirl the soy sauce over the fried rice to your liking. We added about 2 tablespoons. Mix until combined.
- Taste test time. This is why I enjoy cooking fried rice. You get to taste along the way. I felt it needed another 1 teaspoon of our seasoning.
- Mix well one more time and let it rest for a minute or so with the burners off. I feel this lets all those wonderful flavors infuse together.
- Serve and Enjoy!